- C – Tyson Chandler – elite defender
- PF – Amare Stoudemire – average defender
- SF – Carmelo Anthony – solid defender, capable of very good defense
- SG – Landry Fields – very good defender
- PG – Toney Douglas – good to very good defender
- PG – Mike Bibby – abysmal defender
- SG – Iman Shumpert – rookie with good defensive tools and athleticism, likely average to above average defender
- SF – Renaldo Balkman – good to very good defender
- PF – Jared Jeffries – average defender (alongside Amare, one shifts to center where either one is really poor defensively)
- C – Josh Harrellson – rookie with limited athleticism, likely very poor defender
** Baron Davis – solid defender. Replaces T.Douglas as starter and takes M.Bibby out of regular rotation.
- I see two major liabilities. Mike Bibby and the lack of a defensive anchor when Tyson is resting.
- Across the rest of the team, I see average or better defensive players.
- With one elite defender in Tyson Chandler and two well above average defenders in L.Fields (SG) and R.Balkman (SF)
Looks to me that the Knicks have the personnel to build a pretty damn good defensive team.
- Although, Mike D’Antoni is a pretty big unknown variable here. Very much looking forward to seeing how D’Antoni handles this roster. I hope he does a good job, I like D’Antoni.
- A Jeff Van Gundy type would be a brilliant replacement should D’Antoni fail. Perfect for this roster and (somewhat immature) star players like Carmelo Anthony and Amare Stoudemire.