Adrian Wojnarowski tweets
Jason Smith has agreed to a three year, $7.5 million deal to stay with the New Orleans Hornets, a league source tells Y! Sports.
Haha, that’s hilarious.
- Someone gave Jason Smith more than the minimum?
- And it’s the spend-thrift New Orleans Hornets?
- A three year deal at that?
That team’s front office is a mess. Talk about not being on the same page.
It’s completely non-nonsensical for the Hornets to overpay a limited role player on a multi-year contract when they are trying so very hard to offer a situation prime for rebuilding (young talent, future draft picks, cap flexibility.
The Hornets GM, Dell Demps, is completely ignoring his mandate and the league are allowing it to happen on these smaller contracts.
Very bad signing on almost every level.
- Overpaid – only worth the minimum
- Limited player – weak defender/rebounder, tweener big man, good midrange jump-shot but over-relies on it and is consequently an inefficient offensive player overall.
- Bad fit for the duration of his contract albeit an okay one in the immediate sense.
Hornets Big Man Depth Chart
PF – Carl Landry, Jason Smith
C – Emeka Okafor, Chris Kaman
Jason Smith will be a low level reserve and a decent complement to the guys already in place.