The Oregonian reports
The Trail Blazers flurry of Thursday activity did not end with the release of Brandon Roy and free agent signing of Jamal Crawford.
Craig Smith, a 6-foot-7, 265-pound free agent forward, announced on twitter that he was poised to become a Blazer, and a team source later confirmed the signing to The Oregonian.
“Portland here I come …” Smith wrote on Twitter, before telling Blazers center and one-time teammate Marcus Camby that he was “on my way…”
Details of Smith’s contract are unknown, but it will feature a guarantee for this season. That means the Blazers will have to release a player before the start of the regular season.
Nice signing for the Blazers.
Craig Smith is a solid interior scorer for a role player. However, he is a liability in terms of defense and rebounding which limits his value. Overall, he is a low level main backup PF to high level third string backup PF.
I love his fit on the Portland Trailblazers because he gives them something different to it’s other big men.
- They have LaMarcus Aldridge as their franchise player. Their highly skilled offensive player. A seven foot tall fleet footed runner PF/C.
- Then they have Marcus Camby who is a rebounder extraordinaire and provides solid defense and passing from the high post. He is a 6-11, 230lb slender big.
- Then there is Kurt Thomas. A 6-9 260lb physical brute at the center position. He provides physical toughness, interior defense and a nice mid-range jump shot offensively.
- Gerald Wallace is starting small forward but also their main backup PF as an undersized quick four in the mold of a Shawn Marion.
- Which brings us to Craig Smith who at 6-7 265lbs interior scorer brings a completely different and valuable skill-set to the table from Portland’s other big man options.
Excellent work by the Blazers to provide their coaching staff with multiple options in terms of creating matchup issues for opponents / different styles of play.