Yahoo Sports reports
The Orlando Magic have agreed to terms on a four-year, $15 million deal with free-agent point guard Chris Duhon, his agent Kevin Bradbury told Yahoo! Sports.
Duhon averaged 7.4 points and 5.6 rebounds while starting 59 of 67 games for the New York Knicks last season. He will replace Jason Williams as Jameer Nelson’s new backup.
Not sure about this signing for Orlando.
- Duhon has played poor basketball, the worst of his career, over the past 18 months.
- Duhon has a reputation for his extraneous off the court activities (heavy nightlife)
- Duhon is a limited player who relies on his athleticism, focus + effort and defensive intensity (which has been missing in action) to be effective.
(1) — Put those three things together and there are some real doubts about how well Chris Duhon will age. About how well Duhon will do throughout this next contract.
(2) — Then again, maybe Duhon leaves NY and takes a smaller role in Orlando around far more gifted/talented teammates, enjoys the smaller role which hides his weaknesses better and takes some pressure of his shoulders … which helps Duhon get back to his best basketball.
What bothers me is that I don’t have a clue which of these two (extreme) possibilities will happen … which makes this a risky signing because it could go either way.
This may be a good signing for Orlando or it may be a bad signing. We don’t know until we see how Duhon rebounds (or fails to rebound) from his poor stint with the Knicks.
Hmm … Dwight Howard has a way of making his teammates look very good so I’m going to lean towards the positive and say Duhon is more likely than not to to retrieve his best form than not.
Tentatively, I’m going to say this is a good signing.
I would be more comfortable with a more reliable player though. Someone who doesn’t have as many question marks as Duhon.